Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Yes, Jesus loves.... what?


There is something about fire that intrigues me.

There is something about cooking meat over fire that stirs my soul.

And there is something about cooking meat over that fire with a beer in hand that makes me think there is nothing wrong in the world. It is my "happy place" and I know grillin' and chillin' is God's gift to me and I love it. As Ben Franklin might say if he were still alive, "Grillin' and chillin' is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

I had thought that there was nothing in the world that could eclipse the joy of cooking meat over an open flame. That is, until my son came of 'grilling' age this summer. He is now 2, almost 3 and he's ready to learn his way around the grill. Now, don't get me wrong. I did not force this on him. I'm a big believer to let these things bloom in their own time.

Thankfully for me, the shared experience of grilling with my son happened a month or so ago when I declared: "I'm going out to grill" and then my son, Luke, promptly responded: "I want to gwill with you daddy"...

....umm...for those that don't know...it simply does not get better than that. My son was on his way to becoming a man. And you don't turn your son down when he asks to "gwill" with you. You just don't!

So, we grilled and chilled together. He ate meat right off the grill and he kept asking for more. It was great. We have repeated this practice numerous times since. I have cultivated his interest in cooking meat over an open flame and I'm confident it will grow into a love.

And this makes me happy. Very happy. Nothing can compare to the sharing of a mutual interest with your children. No hyperbole at all....it is the best.

So that brings me to a heartwarming proclamation by my son. My daughter recently declared that her favorite vegetable was brocolli. The responsible parent in me was pleased. Then my son quickly declared that his favorite vegetables were "chicken and beef"....

CHICKEN AND BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot tell you how proud I was. That little guy said the magic words that would make me beam...his favorite "vegetables" are chicken and beef. I LOVE it. He has a passion for grilling and he has his dietary priorities in order -- all before the age of 3. I thought it couldn't get any better.

That is until we were driving to church last Sunday. Playing in the CD player was a bible songs CD and Reagan (my daughter) and Luke were singing along. Then the song "Jesus Loves Me" started playing....and they knew the song....word for word.

Only my son got the words a bit wrong.

Instead of singing the chorus as "Yes, Jesus love me" he was singing what he thought the song was saying....and this is what he was singing:

"Yes, Jesus loves meat. Yes, Jesus loves meat."

Ahhhhhh....the joys of fatherhood.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'm so glad you wrote this down. It will be a fun little story to tell our Bud one day. I love you!