Saturday, June 23, 2007

Birthday Cake Debacle


My friend (and co-worker) Jason once gave his wife some flowers for her birthday. Well....not exactly. He gave her a pot with dirt and some seeds. I'm not kidding. And don't worry. I've busted on him plenty about it.... and so has his wife.

So, Kelly's 30th birthday is coming up and knowing that a pot of dirt was out of the question, I decided to bake her a cake with the kids (well, with Reagan... Luke was more interested in playing with his trucks).

So we go to the store and I let Reagan pick out the cake she wants to make. First mistake. I didn't really look at what she picked. When I got the package out today, I realized it was Angel Food cake. Not a problem, I thought -- other than I might have trouble icing it (which, honestly, was going to be a challenge for me anyway). So, I moved on. Reagan helped me find all of the bowls and stuff needed to make the cake. This was cute because I really did not know which cabinet they were in. She obviously bakes more than me.

Reagan and I followed the directions to the letter. I mixed on low for 30 seconds and then on medium for one minute. Then I chose a bundt-type pan to pour the cake into. After I poured it, Reagan said "Daddy, that's too much" -- which I knew it would have been if it were a regular cake. But this was Angel Food cake I thought and all of the "rising" had been done during the mixing stage. I thought it would work. Wrong.

After about 10 minutes, the batter was spilling all over the oven. It's burning and it's a mess. My solution is to just let it continue to bake and then I'll dismantle the oven later and clean it all out. Reagan said again "Daddy, you put too much in..." Thanks Reagan, I thought myself, and then laugh at how much she is like her mother. Then she looks at me and says "Daddy, I'm going to go get Mommy." At this point, I'm not sure if she's telling on me or genuinely knew I needed help. Regardless, Kelly comes down to the rescue. She emerges from the smoke and pulls the "cake" out and I clean up what I can. We put it back in the oven after a quick clean up(well, that's glossing over things a bit -- it was a complete mess and not exactly "quick"). Kelly then goes to the store to pick up some things.

While she's gone, the cake gets done cooking. Again, I followed the instructions to the letter. I did not grease the pan (Kelly tells me that was still wrong) and I tried to take it out of the pan immediately as the instructions stated (again, I'm told that was wrong). At any rate, it just didn't work out -- as you can see a picture of the complete and total debacle that was my attempt at a birthday cake.

In retrospect, I should have just given her a pot with some dirt.

No comments: