Monday, July 28, 2008

Working Out

"...But, that's neither here nor there..."

If you just heard someone say that... it's a guarantee that you just heard some gossip immediately preceding those words.

For example, "Scott is such a fatty... but, that's neither here nor there..."

Well... I decided I never wanted to give someone the opportunity to say that... so, last week, I decided to start working out. Now, don't get me wrong... I stayed active before. I played softball twice a week and golfed when I could. I also walked to the printer from my desk...sometimes taking several of those trips per day (depending, of course, on my printing needs for that day). That is at least 20 steps.... so, roundtrip, we are talking a solid 40 steps. Multiply that by several trips a day and I must have walked 1/10th a mile or more each day. That's some serious exercise right there. Other than that I would just workout on a schedule that worked for me... that is.. I would just work out when I felt like it. Problem is, it had been about 2 years since I last felt like it.

So, anyway... I joined the Gym. Everyday Fitness in Lansdowne to be exact. It's right on my way to and from work... so, it can mock me as I drive past if I ever lose motivation and stop going. I thought that might help... but.. we'll see... maybe not. Kelly has been going there for a year and a half or so, too... so the negotiating process was pretty painless. Basically, they wanted me to commit for 2 years to get Kelly's price (which she was one of the first to join... so, it's pretty low). I told them I "had questionable dedication and a short attention span" and that I could only commit for one year (really... I said that... I just looked it up on my email to confirm). So, that apparently was enough to get them to back down. One year commitment at Kelly's same rate.... yahoo... once that chore was completed I was well on my way to health and wellness (or whatever buzz word they call it these days).

Alrighty then... so, today was my first day. I didn't want to look stupid and do one of those machines wrong... so, I had decided before I went in that I would run on the treadmill first and watch others and see how they did it. So, I walk in and head straight for the treadmill... I'm quick to get the thing going so that I can start acting like I belong. As I'm running, I remember my sole purpose for doing the treadmill first was so that I could observe.... however, small problem.... treadmill is facing the wall. Well, there went that idea... so I just commit to the treadmill and keep on going. These treadmills have a little TV attached to them... but I could never get mine to work... and, seriously, it was really hard to try to hit those little buttons while running and breathing so hard. So I gave up on that, too.

Once I was done with that, I moved on to the machines and started pumping some serious iron. Okay... so, maybe it wasn't serious. Well, for the most part, I knew how to use the machines... so no worries there.

Upon concluding my workout, I shower and head into work... and start feeling like I'm going to puke. It took me probably one hour to fully recover. I really just wanted to put my head on my desk and take a nap.

Well, I've got to go, because Kelly just made me some brownies to celebrate my first day of working out. Work out, eat brownies.... I just might be on to something.... but... that's neither here nor there.

No comments: