Monday, July 14, 2008

Josh Hamilton is Good

I know... 2 blogs in one night... crazy. Anyway.... so, I'm watching the Home Run Derby on ESPN and Josh Hamilton just unloaded on the ball and hit 28 home runs in one round. Now, these were not just frozen ropes that barely made it over the right field wall. THEY WERE BOMBS!!!! Several of them were over 500 feet. I can't fathom that kind of power. It was fun to watch.

So, the announcers keep alluding to how he overcame drug abuse and woke up one day and decided to turn his life around. I sensed something greater was going on, however, since one of the announcers was Chris "F-Bomb" Berman who wouldn't know the spiritual side to a story if it slammed him in the face. So, since, I had never heard Hamilton's full-story before... I google him... and it turns out he has an amazing personal testimony on how the grace of Jesus Christ impacted his life. It's really a wonderful story. You can google it, as I did... or check out this ESPN article here.

Epilogue: Josh Hamilton didn't end up winning.... he was clearly fatigued from bombing so many in the first round and the goofy Home Run Derby rules don't let the homers carry over from round to round. Still... the 28 he hit was the best display of hitting I've seen since Kelly and I saw Mark McGwire take batting practice before a Reds game one year (maybe 2000?)...

No comments: