Sunday, May 18, 2008

10th Anniversary in New York City




It's hard to believe.... it really is... but Kelly and I celebrated our 10th Anniversary on Friday. Much has changed over the last 10 years from a worldly, pop culture, technological, and political viewpoint. What hasn't changed, however, is how much Kelly and I enjoy being with one another... making each other laugh... sharing our thoughts over a nice dinner and glass of wine (well, no wine for Kelly).... and just taking a moment to pause and enjoy "life"... and that's exactly what we did this weekend.


My brother-in-law and sister (who is, honestly, one of the most giving people I know) were kind enough to come up for the weekend and watch our babies so that we could get away on our own. Knowing they were in good hands, we set off for New York City early Saturday morning by train. That's right... by train. And, let me tell you... that is the way to go. Amtrak has a weekend deal where it cost about $175 (total) for both of us to go roundtrip from DC to New York City. And the best part is, the train drops you right off in the heart of the city... it was great. I would absolutely do it that way again. No long security lines at the airport, no stress getting there 2 hours early, no cramped seats, no extortion-like taxi fare from JFK to downtown -- oh... and they had a "dining car".... that was awesome... I thought those were only on TV shows and children's books. Anyway... I'm a convert to "train travel"... next time I travel... I'll definitely look at taking the train.


One thing to point out... the train is a "people watchers" paradise. It's just immensely fertile ground to observe some really unique people. I think all the conformists travel by air... that leaves this odd mix of train enthusiasts, deal seekers (like us), hippie wannabes that see some sort of integrity with train travel, and then an assortment of all kinds of characters that span virtually every culture, ethnicity and economic level. One favorite was the guy that sat behind us on the way back. He was jamming.... and I mean jamming... to an eclectic assortment of 80's music. I heard... at least 3 times.... "Hold Me Now" by the Thompson Twins. Also heard "Mandy" by Barry Manilow a couple of times. It was ridiculous. I was ready to throw his headphones out the window... and he would have deserved it.


The "main event" of our trip was to see a show on Broadway. And the show we picked.... Hairspray. Now, more than one friend has asked: "How did Kelly convince you to see that?"... and, well, the truth is... she didn't... I picked it. I mean, it's not like "Gladiator" or "Braveheart" is playing on Broadway... this is, after all... duh... Broadway... not exactly a "Man's man Paradise"... so, I picked Hairspray... and, it was a really fun show. Kelly LOVED it... and, well... I don't think I have the capacity to "LOVE" a musical... but it was enjoyable.


After that, we checked into our hotel and spent the rest of the night in Times Square... shopping, going into the kitschy stores, people watching, bar-hopping, etc.


Speaking of bar hopping... at the first place we went to, Kelly didn't want to order a drink... finally after I finished a pint of stout (a delightful Oatmeal Stout from a brewpub called Heartland Brewery, I might add), Kelly decided to order a margarita. Anyway, this is the part that cracks me up... at some point (after taking a couple of sips -- and I mean sips)... Kelly says: "Don't tell anyone this... but I'm totally feeling this drink already." And I cracked up... I mean... she only took 2 sips... if you don't believe me... I took a picture of it:



See... I wasn't kidding. Anyway, the hardest part of our evening was not Kelly handling her 2 sips of the margarita.... it was deciding where to go to dinner. We had only one night there and we didn't want to blow it by going to the wrong place. So, right off the bat... all the "chains" were eliminated as we can go to those anytime. Then we eliminated those restaurants that are at every tourist mecca (Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock, etc.). We really wanted a locally run type place with good food that wasn't super uptight. In the end, I think we found the perfect restaurant just off the road from Broadway. It was a little Italian place that was quiet (I guess the chains and touristy places siphoned off the majority of the masses) and allowed us to enjoy a meal together at our own (slow) pace as we reminisced about the last 10 years. It was a good time and a very fitting way to celebrate a decade of Kelly putting up with me.


All in all... such a great time.... I'm excited for what the next 10 years of our life together will bring. We don't know what highs and lows await... but there is no one I would rather share those moments with than Kelly. One day when Kelly and I are old and decrepid and I'm recovering from another broken hip... I'm sure we'll recall with great fondness our many fine moments together....and our trip to New York City on our 10th anniversary will certainly be among them. For your viewing enjoyment, the rest of the pictures are posted here.

5 comments:

For His Glory said...

awww looks like you guys had a great time and CONGRATS on the 10 year mark!!!! love you guys....

Courtney said...

congrats! so glad you guys got away together!

therooddog said...

Next time you should take the $1 ticket that Grayhound gives from DC to NYC. That's a real people watching experience.

I learned so many things on my trip from Roanoke to Fort Collins. For one leg of the trip I sat next two a guy who rode in the rodeo. I can't remember his name - but given that he repeated the same stories within minutes of each other - I don't think he can remember his name either.

The Zarlenga Family said...

Happy 10th Anniversary Faircloths! Love ya'll dearly!

Karen said...

Congratulations!! crazy how fast 10 years goes, isn't it? I'm glad that you guys were able to get away from the kids to celebrate together!