Thursday, April 17, 2008

Today's Scoreboard -- Death: 0, Scott: 3

So, on tuesday night, I was playing softball... doing something I love to do. It had been a really stressful day at work, so it was good to get out and run around and burn off some steam. Then, next thing you know... I ended up in the hospital for a delightful one night/one day stay.

Here's how it went down: Game was going well... it was the first game of the year... so I was a little rusty. Did some good things, did some not-so-good things... but, mostly... it was a good start to the year... then, all of the sudden, my heart started beating out of rhythm and at an extremely rapid pace (measured 178 at the emergency room) and I got lightheaded (well, that would be an understatement).

So, I dropped to one knee to avoid passing out... which, I felt was a very real possibility... anyway.. I got myself together and drove myself to the emergency room. Now, it's important to note that I stupidly ignored all of the offers from guys on the team to drive me there... I decided to man up and drive myself there.... DUMB considering I felt I was going to pass out a couple of times on the ride there. Ladies... you wouldn't understand. Guys... to a man... you probably would have driven yourself, too. I mean... I wasn't bleeding. All my limbs were intact... and I could still talk and stuff... so... why should anyone drive me? (in retrospect... I should have taken them up on the offer.)

Anyway... I get to the emergency room... and, unlike other times I've been there (stiches for the kids and other similar events) they took me back right away and hooked me up to every tube, IV, and injection in the place...seriously... they must have had to order more after I left. I could be a man and say this didn't scare me a bit... but... it scared me... just a little. Just a teensie-weensie bit. The smallest unit allowable of worry.

Anyway...they tried tons of things to try to get it in a normal pattern.... including stopping my heart.... twice! So, friends....let me be as humble and understated as I can be by saying that.... much like a Superhero... I cheated death... not once... but twice. Heretofore, I ask that you address me as Superscott (in humble reverence, of course)... I simply will not answer to any other name. Now, they didn't tell me that they were going to stop my heart... because... I would have done everything in my power (as other patients probably would) to convince them that's a bad idea... because.. you know, to me.. the non-doctor... a beating heart (albeit an abnormally beating heart) is way better than one that's not beating. So, for a period of 3 seconds and then again for a period of 5 seconds... the Faircloth ticker was flat-lined.... they even showed me (with a little more excitement than I'd prefer, actually) the little graph printout from the heart monitor machine where it went flat. I AM kicking myself now for not getting a print out of that so I could put it on the blog! Crap! Obviously, I had other things on my mind at the time... but that's no excuse... I failed you, faithful readers. Next time.... NEXT TIME... I won't make that mistake. I'll remove the nose thing and mouth thing and kindly ask: "Could I trouble you to make a copy of that for me?".... then I'll put all the tubes and stuff back in.

Anyway.... nothing the doctors tried worked... later on Wednesday with my heart still doing odd things, they put me out and shocked my heart (kind of like a defibrillator) and that, thankfully did the trick. Which, by the way, stopped the heart for a third time... thus living up to my newly self-acquired name of Superscott. So, for those keeping score.. the final tally for the day:

Death: 0, (Super)Scott: 3

I'm going to get some rest now.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

uh. wow. you guys ARE all the same. when pat dislocated his shoulder - drove himself to the emergency room and also almost passed out numerous times. take care of yourself! yikes!

Justin PRather said...

Lying your bed, did you look up at the hospital staff and repeat the lines to the Backstreet Boys song, "Quit Playing Games with My Heart"?

Joyce Wells said...

SuperScott! We are so happy and thankful that YOU are doing fine!! You are very important to YOUR family and our family - tale care of your little self!!!!!
Sorry to see we are not listed on your favorite peopel list....
Love, MeMe

Joyce Wells said...

SuperScott! We are just so happy and thankful you are still with your family and our family!!!!! Take care of your little self - YOU are very important to all of us!!!!!
By the way, sorry we are not listed on your favorite people....
Love, MeMe

The Faircloth Five said...

Hmmm... 2 comments from the Mother-in-Law... one advocating something called "tale care"... something only a mother would worry about. Let me assure you, meem, that my 'tale care' is up to par. Secondly, you lament the fact that you are not listed as one of our "favorite people"... what you fail to note is something ALL of those people have in common... and that is a "blog" of their own. We can certainly list you as one of our favorite people... but what are we going to link them to? Your ebay account? Certainly not. So... start a blog... and that problem will be solved. Thank you, of course, for the kind words.

The Zarlenga Family said...

Dearest Faircloths!

I was just asked by my dear husband what I was doing and I told him I was reading the Faircloth's blog. His response was of course, "But you are not laughing." ( Because I ALWAYS get a good laugh! But this time,....well all I can say is BLESS YOUR DEAR hearts! I am so thankful for the Lord's mercies to you and will be definitely praying! Love you all very much!