Thursday, September 6, 2007

When Green is Brown and Purple is blue...


OK...so...see the circle above. Do you see a "45"? According to the website I got the picture off of.... you should.

I don't. It's all dots to me. I am colorblind. No problem....it's created some interesting times in my life....such as:

  • In 2nd Grade when we studied the Mexicans, I used green crayons to color in their skin on my 'ditto' -- because...duh...mexican's are green...right?
  • Grapes are purple....not blue. Found that out about 10 years ago.
  • Peanut Butter is brown, not green. Found that out last week.
  • I once ordered Peanut Butter chocolate ice cream at Baskin Robbins and pointed at what I thought was the right thing....except it was watermelon (pink & green). Yikes.
  • I had trouble programming the garage because I couldn't tell if the "self" learn button was orange or green. Apparently, I chose incorrectly because for 2 weeks anytime our neighbor left for work, our garage door opened (no worries, I fixed it).
  • I wore a purple shirt to work for a year or so until someone told me it was purple. No self-respecting man wears a purple dress shirt. I thought it was blue...what can I say?
  • I'm amazed when my kids can tell what color something is. To me, it's kind of a guess. But, apparently, colors are like numbers....they just are what they are. Fascinating.
  • When I was a kid, we would go to this "laser tag" place. One team was red. One team was green. We could tell each other apart by the lights on our vests and helmets. You got points for shooting the other team and negative points for shooting your own team. I would dominate a round and come out thinking I'd have a bazillion points. Only to check my score and see me dead last with NEGATIVE a bazillion points. Apparently, I kept shooting my own team. No wonder everyone on my team kept yelling at me. Interestingly enough, I still had fun.
  • Trying to pick out paint colors is maddening. That's one reason I just let Kelly do all the decorating (Okay, so I don't need a reason to let Kelly do all the decorating).
  • Brown could be green. Purple could be blue. Green can sometimes be yellow. Pink could conceivably be purple (depending on the shade). But Black is alway black and white is always white (except a dark blue can look black and a light purple/pink/yellow can look white). Other than that, I see colors perfectly.
  • You know how they color coordinate computer cables to the back of your computer. Utterly useless to me. I have...and will continue to...plug the wrong plugs into the wrong slots. Trial and error works best for me usually.
  • I cannot even tell you the colors of this blog. I would guess purple and blue. Though it could be dark blue on blue or purple on light purple. I'm pretty sure there's orange in there, but if you told me it was brown...I'd be cool with that.

So, that's it for now. I'm sure Kelly will have about 1,000 other stories. I get by. I think I'm disqualified for employment in the military (see my laser tag experience), FBI, CIA and interior decorating. Thankfully for me, politics does not require proper interpretation of the color spectrum.

No comments: