Saturday, August 18, 2007

Got Change for a Dollar?


Odd question, I know... I'll get to that in a minute. For now, rewind to a month ago. Luke was napping and woke up screaming. I ran up to his room and he was holding his eye saying "get it out...get it out." Needless to say, I was worried and he was, indeed, in some real pain.

So, we took him to the emergency room (since it was after the Dr. was closed on a Saturday). And, while at the doctor, he improved enough to tell us what happened. Basically, he was sleeping with this toy camel that friends of ours brought back from Egypt for him. Somehow, he scratched his eye with it. Thankfully, though, he did not scratch his cornea or anything and they sent him home and he was fine.

Since that time, he has referred to the camel as "that stinkin' camel" (Kelly's preferred adjective for anything she doesn't like is 'stinkin' and he, obviously, has picked up on that).

Now with one trip to the emergency room under this belt, Luke apparently wanted to take trip #2 last night. Here's the story:

I was brushing Luke's teeth and noticed he was holding a nickel. I didn't really think much of it. He was excited to put it in his piggy bank. I forgot about the nickel. Until, that is, I put him on the ground to put his clothes on for bed. At that point, he made kind of a gagging noise.

I thought it might have been a hair or something caught in his mouth... but, anyway, it wasn't a good sound, so I picked him up really quick and then he had this confused look on his face and said, "My penny! Where did my penny go?" (He has yet to learn the difference between a penny and a nickel -- or a chuck e. cheese token for that matter). And he was reaching in his mouth and grabbing at his tongue.

Then the lightbulb went off...I think he swallowed the nickel. Obviously, I'm concerned -- but I know it'll probably just "pass"....Kelly wanted to call 911...Luke just wanted his frickin' nickel back. So we all compromise and decide to call his doctor in the morning to see what they say.

"Go straight to the emergency room," they say, "to make sure it's not stuck in his esophagus." So, we trek down to Lansdowne hospital (between his last visit, my near-miss vasectomy, and this time -- we've seen entirely too much of Lansdowne Hospitial) and get the x-ray.

Luke tells anyone that will listen that the nickel is in his tummy and he wants it back. So, we go to the X-ray room. Luke says "cheese" when the nurse tells him she's just going to take a picture -- very cute. The X-Ray confirms our diagnosis. Nickel in the tummy. Dr's assure us there are no problems and that it will just pass in a couple of days.

Logically, it makes me wonder if Luke will start calling the nickel "that stinkin' nickel" -- because, let's be honest -- that nickel is going to truly be stinkin'....

Anyway, to answer the question, Got change for a dollar?

The answer is No... but maybe Luke will in about 2 to 3 days. Well, he'll have to go to his piggy bank for the rest, but he'll be on the right track. So, until then, you are just going to have to be patient.

No comments: