Sunday, December 30, 2007

Hail to the Redskins!

Wow. That's all I have to say (well, not really... that wouldn't make a very good blog entry). I wrote on here months ago that this football season would bring me some of the highest highs and lowest lows of my year. And, sure enough.... that was true this year.


I honestly felt like crying... literally crawling up in the fetal position, sucking my thumb and hiding in my closet after the Redskins lost to Buffalo 5 games ago. That was the first game after the death of Sean Taylor and the game where the Redskins blew it in heartbreaking fashion with a last second field goal by the other team... and I was seriously depressed for a week (I'm the first to admit that allowing football to affect my moods is insane)


Then... the highest of highs came today. Huge win over the Cowboys to (unbelievably) make the playoffs. Regardless of what happens next week... I am so proud of this team. I really am... and it's games like this that make it so worthwhile suffering through all of the bad seasons and bad losses where the Redskins managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.


Anyway, some observations from the game:


Building Memories: Before we had kids, I envisioned my family getting together on Sundays, going to church and then rooting for the Redskins while we ate gobs of junk food. One of my favorite memories as a kid is watching a Redskins game with my Dad and eating pizza and he let me drink Pepsi directly from the bottle. A simple memory... but a happy one, nonetheless... and I want my kids to experience those simple joys, as well.


So, needless to say, it made me thrilled to no end to have my whole family geared up for the game (well, Will could have cared less). Here's what we looked like:





My kids: Were adorable. Luke was wearing a Santana Moss Jersey and Reagan kept calling him "Moss" and Reagan was wearing a (pink) Jersey and she was going by the name "Cooley" (Redskins player for those that don't know). And I was wearing a Riggins jersey, so they both kept calling me "Riggins"... they did this on their own... it was really cute. It was very 'locker room'..all that was missing was the stench and a towel snap or two at each other's butts (I'll teach Luke how to do that when he's responsible enough to handle the responsibility of using such a weapon


Luke fell in the toilet: Somehow Luke fell in the toilet in the 4th quarter. No big deal, but he was really upset that he couldn't wear his "Moss" Jersey anymore.... and... once he took it off... he wouldn't allow me to call him "Moss" anymore. You see, in his eyes, the jersey is much like Superman's cape... take away the cape and you've just got a dude wearing tights


My kids love Mike Sweetland: Mike is a friend from college. He's my age, single, has a Chuck Norris-esque beard.... no kids, obviously... I only recently discovered he was in this area... but we've managed to hang out 3 or 4 times. Anyway, he has a few nieces and nephews about Reagan and Luke's age, so he's not phased by kids like you would expect a 30-something, single dude with a beard would be. He just goes with the flow and (since he has thoses nieces and nephews) he can speak their language (Dora, Diego, Backyardigans, Webkinz, etc). Anyway, my kids love him and would be quite excited if he visited everyday. Here's a picture Reagan took of me, Luke and Mike:


So, anyway Ladies.... single Christian guy... loves kids... is available. Loves travel and long walks in the park... or... so I assume.


So, to sum up... Great day to be a Redskins fan and Luke fell in the toilet (haven't we all?)...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Well-deserved win for the Skins. I was pulling for you guys from up here in Patriot-land. Losing to Dallas would have taken ten years off John Rood's life expectancy.
-Kevin