Thursday, June 5, 2008

Notes from the Week

A bunch of stuff went on last week... nothing completely 'blog-worthy', unfortunately. So, here's some news and comment from last week:

"Transformers" Trip: Every year, our church gets a group of guys together and we go on this trip rebuilding homes (putting on roofs, redoing drywall, building handicap ramps, etc). First off, the name of this trip would be enough for me to normally just say "no thanks"... I mean, I was never much into watching Star Wars or other such sci-fi movies as a kid (or now for that matter). Never once played Dungeon & Dragons... and while other kids were playing with their "transformers".... I was usually playing ball... so... needless to say... the word "transformers" immediately draws a negative reaction. However, don't let the name fool you. Tools are involved, my friends... and when tools are involved... count me in.... regardless of whatever name they may attach to it. It really was a great time and can't wait to go again next year.

My main observation is the interesting dynamic between guys that don't know each other. There is a cycle that we go through... and it's a very different cycle from women. For example, throw a bunch of women that have never met each other or just barely know each other in a 4 hour van trip. They will immediately be a bit stand-offish, but eventually enter into a painfully slow "getting to know you" process. This could take upwards of a decade.

Now, contrast that with a bunch of dudes in a similar situation (as was the case on this trip). The process goes something like this:

  • Immediate Search for Common Ground: Guys move quickly to claim some common ground. That's why we immediately go to such things as our occupation, sports, politics, family lives, etc. This process can take about 2 to 5 minutes -- tops. Once common ground is firmly established (usually once we get to "sports"), we move to the next step.
  • Serious Conversation: Theological discussions, difficult political issues, our fears and vulnerabilities with our families... these are some of the things we might discuss in phase 2 of this process, which takes the longest to complete.. about 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour. Once we get the serious conversation under our belt, we move to the next phase... which is...
  • Making Fun of Each Other: This is the final and most crucial step to developing lifelong friendships. Guys are simply incapable of having a lifelong friendship if we don't move past "serious conversation"... at some point... we have to move on to busting on one another. If you find a friend that you can joan on and they can give it back... you've got a friend for life. I think this is probably the biggest difference between guys and girls. When I see these guys again in the parking lot at church, for example... I could totally yell out to them... "What's up Fat Boy!" and it would totally make them feel great. Now, if Kelly did the same and yelled "What's up Fat Girl!".... ya.. you get the idea... she'd have no girlfriends anymore. So, needless to say, the fourth and final step is...
  • Lifelong Friendship: That's right... a lifelong friend can be made in 2 hours or less if you're a guy. Now, we won't call each other or email... sometimes for years.... but when we see each other again after those years... we'll ask "What did you do last night?" instead of "Tell me everything you've done over the last 700+ days". That way, we just pretend those 2 years never happened. It really works out well. Women of the world... you should try it... really.

Redskins Season Tickets: Well, it's official. Kelly and I are Redskins season ticket holders. Section 419, Row 15.... not the greatest seats in the place... but they are OUR seats... and that's all that matters. I can now check this off the list of things I want to do before I die. The other things on that list are: hmmmm..... I don't really have that list yet... check back in a few blog postings -- maybe I'll have something by then.

Sierra Nevada Summer Ale: Ah... such a delightful, summer crisp beer... you may recall I was lamenting the fact that gas prices were so high and how I bought an inferior brew last time out. Well, when I got back from the Transformers trip, Kelly had a six pack of this manna from heaven waiting for me in the fridge. What a wonderful surprise. A good, cold six pack of beer is a man's version of "flowers"... only with a much better function than "they just look pretty." Big ups to Kelly for being so thoughtful.

Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods, Tiger, Tiger, Tiger Woods: I will be on the Volunteer Committee for the AT&T National Golf Tournament at the Congressional Golf Course in July. "Volunteer Committee" is a fancy way of saying I'll be free labor. But... this is TOTALLY worth it. This is a Tiger Woods tournament. I went last year as a regular ticket buying customer... but this year... I'll be working the players driving range. Not sure what all this entails... but... whatever... I'll be right there with some of the best players in the game... Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh, etc., etc., etc. As is my custom when I'm around "famous" people (or, more likely in my case, elected officials or TV political pundits), I'll completely ignore them and pretend that I belong there just as much as they do. I'll let you know how that goes.

Well, that's all for now. Hopefully, something really interesting and/or entertaining will happen in our lives so that I can post something better... keep checking back.... it's only a matter of time.

1 comment:

Tom Mirabella said...

Sorry about Tiger, be sure to say "Hi" to that choker Lefty...