Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I Got Stuck at a Meeting Today

One of the absolute joys of having kids is being able to see the world through their eyes. They are very simplistic, very literal and live in a world where nothing is impossible.

Anyway, I was running late at a meeting today so I called Kelly to tell her I was going to be a couple of hours late. Kelly immediately went ahead and served the kids dinner and told them that Daddy was stuck at a meeting and would be home later.

So, they went ahead and ate their dinner and were done by the time I finally got home. As they usually do, they come running to the door as soon as they hear the garage door open. They usually pepper me with questions or tell me about their day... usually both at the same time and today was no different. Here's how the conversation went after I opened my car door:

Me: "Hi, babies! Did you have fun today?"

Luke: "Daddy, was the door small?"

Reagan, talking at the same time as Luke: "Daddy, you got stuck at a meeting! I'm eating a tootsie roll!"

Luke, repeating his earlier question because I failed to answer within the alloted time frame (which is about .2 seconds for Luke): "Daddy, was the door small?"

Just trying to get in the door and not really paying as much attention to their comments and questions as I should... and really just not having any idea what he was talking about, I just answer: "Yes... bud... the door was small"

Satisfied with this response, he runs upstairs and I overhear him telling Kelly matter of factly... "The door was small."

Still puzzled as to what he's talking about... I'm pondering it as I walk upstairs... "was the door small? the door? hmmm?"

Then it hits me.

Daddy was stuck at a meeting. Daddy was stuck at a meeting.

He's 3 years old.... and he only knows one kind of stuck... and no doubt this is how he envisioned me:





HILARIOUS.... Daddy was STUCK at a meeting!

2 comments:

Justin PRather said...

Did anyone ever say that you were "having a hard time getting out the door"?

Tony said...

We were at Disney World yesterday and on the ride "It's a Small World After All", Isaac saw Pooh sticking out of the tree and says "Pooh Stuck". Usually when he says that it means that he's trying to go potty (but not having too much luck), and since he was on my lap at the time I'm thankful he was referring to Winnie.