Sunday, November 18, 2007

The blow by blow agony of a Redskins fan

For the first time in my 25+ years of being a Redskin fan, I gave serious thought to not watching the Redskins/Cowboys game. Realistically, the Redskins have no chance of winning. Injuries have decimated what was once a promising team... so, I thought I'd take my kids to see the Bee Movie instead... but, I did that with them yesterday... and, I decided....I'll watch the game... but If I'm going to go through the agony of this game, I might as well give you just a taste of my misery... so..here she goes:

4:07 8 minutes until kickoff....my prediction (and it pains me to say this) Dallas 34, Redskins 13. My heart is usually pounding and I've got my game face on at this point. Not so today. Sitting on my couch, in the basement... typing on my laptop. I am watching in glorious HD.. so that's good.

First Quarter
First observation... at least we get a decent broadcast team this week. We've been stuck w/ Kenny Albert the last few weeks and he bites... He's horrible. Aikman is good. Former Dallas QB...yes... but he's a good announcer... I don't have to turn the sound down.

Our kicker just made the tackle on the opening Kickoff...he's had a few of those this year. Not a bad tackle, actually.

Cowboys just did a boneheaded play. Nice to see other teams besides the Redskins do that, too...

'boys miss the FG.

Redskins in Cowboys territory...nice catch by Cooley....inside the 20. 'Skins are just teasing me right now. I predict a fumble shortly... correction... TOUCHDOWN....REDSKINS! Another nice pass and catch to Cooley. I'm still not holding my breath, though. (do you feel the pessimism that comes with being a Redskins fan?)

Redskins just missed an easy pick. Our D has the worst hands in the NFL.

Interception Redskins(ironic, isn't it...given my last statement)! Romo just threw an idiotic pass??? I'll take it. Again... it's just a tease at this point. I've seen it before... and, the reality is... the cowboys will keep firing the bullets. If the Redskins threw an early pick like that...we'd put our head between our legs and just run the ball -- every time. I'm not kidding.

3 and out for Redskins. Santana Moss drops his 1,000 ball of the season... been a rough year for him.... but he usually makes up for it. Still... I wish he'd stop dropping them.

Cowboys drive sputters out. Redskins D actually stopped someone on 3rd down... end of 1st quarter

Second Quarter
Starts w/Redskins up 7-0 w/the ball deep in their own territory.

Redskins driving...facing a 3rd and 4 after a decent drive that started at our own 4. The call? We run it....right up the middle...not surprisingly, we are stopped short. It's plays like this that make us losers. Gibbs decides to try the low-percentage 50 yard field goal. Of course, we miss it. Just symptomatic of how this team is. No killer instinct and the momentum swings back to Dallas. Remember this. Not playing to win. I feel a Cowboys touchdown coming on...

Another bad snap by Cowboys... but..they get the first down. Seen that a few times this year...it's almost like it's a designed play. The ball magically takes 1 easy hop right into Romo's hands.... every time... it's unreal.

Another missed INT by the 'skins. Again... worst hands in NFL... comes back to bite us -- on the very next play Dallas converts 3rd and long on pass to T.O. I think it's first and goal now.

As predicted.... touchdown Dallas. See my comment above about our lack of killer instinct. Led to a missed field goal, great field position for Dallas.. and a touchdown for Dallas. Losers. I love a team of losers. Arrggh.

Alright. Redskins get good kick return... solid two-minute drill and nail a field goal as time expires in the half. It's halftime...and miraculously, Redskins are up 10-7. But... just wait. The Redskins are the worst team in the 2nd half. They are great at blowing games (as they did last week against Philly).

Third Quarter
Starts off with a decent drive. Jason Campbell fumbles and Cowboys recover. He fumbles about once a game. Dumb mistakes kill the Redskins. They just aren't a good enough team to overcome mistakes. At least we are consistent in the 2nd half.... that is... we are consistently horrible...

Alright... I put the laptop down and took a break... I got emotionally involved in the game... I promised myself I wouldn't. Dallas up by 1 at this point. Start of the fourth quarter. We did give up a touchdown on 3rd and 19. Winners don't do that. Anyway, laptop is back and I'm back to not being emotionally involved.

Fourth Quarter
This is where the Redskins always get dominated against good teams. Can't wait!

True to form. Owens wide open. Touchdown. No one covered him. That's twice. Best player on the field and twice in a row they don't cover him? Typical Redskins. Down by 8.

2nd and 1.... 2 incomplete passes and it ends up being 4th and 1 and we kick the field goal. We are losers. They should have gone for it. We are just not playing to win. At least we made the kick. Down by 5.

Touchdown T.O. again. That is why you go for it on fourth and 1. We are playing a better team. Field goals are not going to win the game. T.O. needs to thank Sean Taylor for getting hurt. Alot of his TD would not have happened w/ him in the game. Still...poor job by Redskins... which is about the norm.

4th and 4. Redskins with the ball. This is the ball game here. Dallas will bring everybody, I'm sure. complete... first down.... time ticking....

Touchdown Redskins.... Well... at least we are fighting and not giving up. We need Romo to make one of his boneheaded plays...

Redskin D comes up big. Sack of Romo on 3rd down. 3:26 left on the clock. Well... it's the end of the game and we have a chance. Honestly, I can't ask for anything more. I wish they had figured out how to cover T.O. earlier...

Two minute warning. Redskins on Dallas 23.

Just missed a TD pass to Moss. Darn. 3rd and 10.

Interception. Typical Redskins. Game over. The Agony.

Dallas 28, Redskins 23

Such is the life of a Redskins fan.

2 comments:

angie said...

I'll be nice and not say anything, other than the fact that I slept through the last 5 minutes of the game... must be the chemo, or maybe it's the security of being a Dallas fan.

Justin PRather said...

Ugggghhh...