Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Why I want to name my next daughter Winnie Cooper


GWENDOLYNE "WINNIE" COOPER FAIRCLOTH?

OK. I admit it. I had a huge crush on Winnie Cooper growing up. I mean, what 13 year old boy in 1988 didn't? I certainly did. My best friend Mike (more stories on him to come) did. In fact, mention the name "Winnie Cooper" to any guy that grew up while that show was on and they will instantly smile. And I know why. They might not admit it....but, seriously...Winnie Cooper wore go-go boots and fishnet stockings to the first day of seventh-grade. As a 12-13 year old boy that watched that show from the start, that was the point of no return for me. The love story of Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper -- while often tortured and drawn out -- is really a microcosm of what we all long for in a relationship. We desire innocence, virtue, beauty, adventure and a good dose of humor.


In fact, one of the quotes that I love most from the Wonder Years comes from Kevin Arnold when he is older (as the narrator of the show). He says:

"All our young lives we search for someone to love. Someone who makes us complete. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope... all the while wondering if somewhere, somehow, there's someone perfect... who might be searching for us."

We all know Kevin was talking about Winnie. I recently sent this quote to Kelly (my wife) and told her that she was my Winnie Cooper. Which is so completely true. My wife is my Winnie Cooper. I was searching for her and she was searching for me -- and, thankfully, we found each other.

She has child-like innocence and virtue, undeniable beauty, a desire for adventure and, often, is laugh-out loud funny. It's those characteristics that made her so irresistibly attractive to me. It's no coincidence that those were the were the traits that made Winnie Cooper so irresistibly attractive to me when I was younger. These are also the same traits that I would desire in my daughter: innocence, virtue, beauty, adventurous spirit and humor. So, if our next child (due in November) is a girl -- I'll be pushing hard for Winnie Cooper. Winnie Cooper Faircloth. I love it. I have 6 months to convince my wife. Pray for me.

2 comments:

Yam Dog 1 said...

Why don't you name your daughter Danica or name her McKellar?? You are obsessed. Winnie has a movie on June 5, lifetime network and a book "Math doesn't Suck."

Yam Dog 1 said...

I always feld like a Paul when I was young but wished I wer a Kevin.
Poor Kevin never got what he want: Winnie Cooper said, "I guess it was just one of those summer things..." referring to her hook up with Kevin. I thought I was obsessed with winnie but you are mor.