Sunday, January 4, 2009

There are no words...

This weekend we went to Virginia Beach to visit my parents (and sister and brother-in-law who were visiting from Georgia). One of the things I have always enjoyed doing there is sitting at the kitchen table, drinking a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper. Not sure why I do... I just always have. It's nearly impossible to do now with three kids... but, I still steal a few moments and quickly scan the paper... and that's what I did on Thursday morning.

As I was scanning the paper... something caught my eye. It was an obituary. Not sure why I was in that section... other than frantically trying to find something of interest to read before I got sidetracked by something more worthy of my time. Well... anyway... take a look at the following obituary and see if it catches your eye too:



Uhh.... did you scratch your head, too? Out of respect for this person, I'm not even going to write her name here (and I don't wan't the google hits from pervs who can't even spell correctly)... but... seriously? Who names their kid that?

I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that it was a 'real' name of some historical origin... but no such luck. The best I could find was that it was possibly an English name. But, then I came to my senses and realized that if "Penis" was a legitimate name of some historical origin... I'm still not naming my kid that.... even if I took an alternate spelling of Peenis or Pinis?

Anyway... I just had to share.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe it's pronounced like regina (ie ra-jeena)? god, i hope so. even if not, she lived a good life for someone with such a name. just goes to prove it might NOT matter what you name your kids. :)

Anonymous said...

My friend, Suzan (Lord) Banks knew of someone who was substitute teaching and was doing roll call. They came to the same name (maybe even with an "a" instead of an "e") and after hesitating, said it like the body part. The girl raised her hand and said "That's ve-geena." Oops.