Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Can Someone Please Explain...

Can someone... anyone... please explain why my wife is addicted to those shows on TLC where they have 20,000 kids. You know what I'm talking about... John & Kate Plus 8 or the Duggars... anyway... here are my thoughts:

  • I just don't get it.
  • I usually refuse to watch it.
  • The last thing I want to do after a long day at work and then putting my own kids to bed is watching someone else's whiney kids.
  • Mine are all I can take (not to say that my kids are whiney... but, trust me... they have their moments).
  • She's watching one right now... and she thinks she's sneaking it in while I bang away on the computer.
  • Secretly, she's hoping that I keep typing away so that she can keep watching it.
  • We only have one TV and only watch shows together.
  • On Monday nights, Kelly tries to Tivo Jon & Kate and Dancing with the Stars at the same time... which means I can't watch anything else.
  • Monday nights have only meant one thing in my 32 years on this earth... that's right... Monday Night Football.
  • Dancing with the Stars gets the boot, Monday Night Football wins that battle.
  • I think our Dr. is concerned we're headed for our own show on TLC.
  • She told Kelly at her first appointment that "she should start thinking about what kind of birth control to use now" after this pregnancy.
  • That Dr. is very lucky I was not at that appointment.
  • I would have kindly... but firmly let her know that we have retained her services to monitor the health of Kelly and to deliver a healthy baby and we do not need nor solicit her non-medical advice.
  • I'm kind of sad I wasn't there when she said that.... I enjoy righteous indignation.
  • I think if they just had a cable channel called: "Big Ass Families".... I'm quite certain that Kelly would watch it... 24/7.
  • Lastly... I'm still waiting.... someone please explain to me the appeal of these shows.... anyone?? Bueller?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not Bueller, but I'll give it a shot. (I realize, Scott, that you probably don't want a serious answer, but you're getting one anyway).
It is so far from what most of us experience that we are somehow drawn to see if we can figure out how and if it really is possible to have 800 kids and be normal and what kind of people would actually want to have tons of kids.
Jon & Kate Plus 8: it's somehow comforting to know that they are real people with responses and reactions just like we would have in the same situation.
Duggars: well, they are just weird and that is what makes it interesting.
I don't know when any of these shows comes on, but if I'm bored and flipping through the channels and one happens to be on then, yes, I'll watch it.

Tracie said...

Um, I love Jon and Kate too. I think because they are just so darn real. They yell at their kids sometimes and have little fights and also it makes me glad that I don't have sextuplets!

Don't be offended by the doctor's comments. It's something that they talk about with most patients. I know with both of my pregnancies they brought it up so that I could explore my options and think about it in advance.

The Adkins Family said...

I'm addicted too. I think that when you feel overwhelmed with the one (few) that you have, its cool to see someone with a ton of kids. You keep waiting for the train wreck. I love Jon & Kate +8, and I am fascinated with the Duggers, although not nearly as much as J&K+8.

Our 2 Princesses and their Subjects said...

I'm with Tracie - try to not to be offended by the doctor's comments. Mine started talking about birth control at my first few appointments, too. It's a good thing he did, because it took us that long to figure out what we wanted to do!

Suzanne said...

I had to force myself to stop watching those shows. I agree, after chasing my own (2) kids around all day the last thing I need to do is watch that on TV. Too stressful!

Anonymous said...

I already lived it, so those t.v. shows hold exactly NO appeal for me. LOL

I'm with the others that posted the birth control comments are fairly routine for ANY OB visit, or even the after care visit from the home care nurse.

I still am laughing (uncomfortably) over the elderly Mennonite home care nurse (in bonnet and prairie dress) extolling the virtues of the diaphragm, because her husband preferred how it felt. That's not something I imagined coming out of her mouth at our visit. *shudder*